For general information pertaining to the May Commencement Ceremonies, please contact the Commencement Office at (860) 486-6800.
Preparation for Graduate and Undergraduate Candidates
If you are a graduate student and would like detailed instructions about where and when to gather and what to do when you arrive, please visit the Faculty Preparation page.
Who is eligible to participate?
For the May 2020 Commencement ceremonies, the following students are eligible to attend and should "apply to graduate" to do so:
• May 2020 Candidates
• August 2020 Candidates
• December 2019 Graduates (no need to re-apply to graduate)
• August 2019 Graduates (no need to re-apply to graduate)
How do I “Apply to Graduate”?
You should "apply to graduate" via StudentAdmin and submit a plan of study no later than February 14, 2020 in order to participate in the ceremony. These will be used to certify your eligibility.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please visit the Graduation page of the Registrar's website, contact the Degree Audit office at 486-6214, or visit their office within the Registrar's Office in Wilbur Cross Building.
How do I obtain my Cap & Gown and Guest Tickets?
The caps & gowns designated for UConn ceremonies will be available in-person from the UConn Bookstores starting on March 25, 2020. The Ticket Desk will be open from 9:00am-4:30pm Monday through Friday at the Bookstore on the Storrs Campus starting on March 25, 2020. Tickets will not be available during weekends. Please remember, distribution of Commencement Tickets is coordinated by the UConn Commencement Office and not the UConn Bookstore. In the event of a delayed opening or a campus closure, tickets will not be available until the University re-opens. The Bookstore may still be open but if the campus is closed, tickets are not distributed.
Guest tickets will only be distributed to those students who purchase their cap & gown from the UConn Bookstore. Please purchase your cap & gown before visiting the ticket desk. The use of pre-existing regalia (cap & gown from high school, family member, etc.) is no longer allowed. Picking-up guest tickets on behalf of friends/family members/etc. is NOT allowed. You must retain your original receipt from the purchase of your regalia in order to obtain guest tickets. The Bookstore is unable to print customer receipts upon request so it is imperative that the original receipt is retained.
Questions about the process should be directed to the UConn Commencement Office (Ticket Desk) at (860) 486-2653 or email@example.com.
Storrs Campus Students:
You, the student, must show that you possess an appropriate cap & gown by providing your sales receipt from the Bookstore. We are no longer able to look-up your previous purchases to confirm that you purchased a cap and gown. You MUST hold onto your receipt to obtain your guest tickets. Storrs campus students have one option when it comes to purchasing your cap & gown (and obtaining your guest tickets):
1. Purchase your cap & gown at Storrs Bookstore location. Retain the receipt. Pick-up your guest tickets between the hours of 9:00am-4:30pm (Monday - Friday) at the Ticket Desk (second floor of the Bookstore). You must provide your original sales receipt from the purchase of your cap and gown along with a valid UConn Student ID. NOTE: If you are a 2019 graduate, UConn Bookstore locations will have 2019 tassel dangles so that you can switch out the 2020 dangle.
2. Purchase your cap & gown online through the Oak Hall Regalia website. Retain the receipt. Pick-up your guest tickets between the hours of 9:00am-4:30pm (Monday - Friday) at the Ticket Desk (second floor of the Bookstore) starting March 25, 2020. You must provide your original sales receipt (not an electronic copy) from the purchase of your cap and gown along with a valid UConn Student ID. NOTE: If you are a 2019 graduate, please note in the Additional Information box (on the cart page) that you would like a 2019 tassel dangle. You will then be able to switch out the 2020 dangle.
If you are unable to come to the Storrs campus, please follow the instructions for Regional Campus Students.
Regional Campus Students (or those who are no longer located in Storrs):
Regional Campus students (or those who are no longer located in Storrs) have two options when it comes to purchasing your cap & gown (and obtaining your guest tickets):
1. Purchase your cap & gown at your Regional Campus Bookstore location. Retain the receipt. Complete a copy of the Permission to Obtain Guest Tickets Form. E-mail a copy of your valid UConn Student ID, receipt, and completed Permission to Obtain Guest Tickets form to UConn (e-mail address forthcoming) for ticket fulfillment. Tickets will be mailed directly to the home address provided. NOTE: Tickets will not be mailed after 12:00pm (Noon) on Friday, April 24, 2020. Any ticket requests received after that time must be picked up in-person. The Ticket Desk will be open on Saturday, May 9, Sunday, May 10, and Monday, May 11 for those who need to pick-up on the day of their ceremony. NOTE: If you are a 2019 graduate, UConn Bookstore locations will have 2019 tassel dangles so that you can switch out the 2020 dangle.
2. Purchase your cap & gown online through the Oak Hall Regalia website. Retain the receipt. Complete the Permission to Obtain Guest Tickets Form. E-mail the completed form along with a copy of your receipt and your valid UConn Student ID to UConnGradTix@gmail.com for ticket fulfillment. Please remember that your cap and gown will be shipped to you by Oak Hall (not UConn). Your tickets will be mailed out by the UConn Ticket Team in a separate package. NOTE: Tickets will not be mailed after 12:00pm (Noon) on Friday, April 24, 2020. Any ticket requests received after that time must be picked up in-person. The Ticket Desk will be open on Saturday, May 9, Sunday, May 10, and Monday, May 11 for those who need to pick-up on the day of their ceremony. NOTE: If you are a 2019 graduate, please note in the Additional Information box (on the cart page) that you would like a 2019 tassel dangle. You will then be able to switch out the 2020 dangle.
Guest Ticket FAQs:
1. When and where can I pick-up my guest tickets? Monday - Friday between the hours of 9:00am-4:30pm on the second floor of the UConn Bookstore. Tickets are not available on weekends.
2. Can I pick-up guest tickets for my friend/family member/roommate? No. The graduating student must provide his/her own regalia receipt and Student ID card to obtain guest tickets. We will not distribute guest tickets to parents, spouses, roommates, etc. In the case of a graduate studying abroad, completing an internship out of state, etc., please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance with these case-by-case scenarios.
3. I am coming to the Storrs Campus and want to visit the Bookstore to purchase regalia for myself and 10 others. Can I also pick-up their guest tickets? No. Only the graduating student can pick-up his/her own guest tickets. We strongly encourage graduates to purchase their own regalia so that they can easily obtain their own guest tickets and avoid errors with their regalia. If you are unable to make it to the Storrs Campus, there are alternative ways to obtain your regalia and guest tickets. Please see "Regional Campus Students" instructions above. When someone comes into the Bookstore and purchases multiple sets of regalia, there is always the risk of the end users (the graduates) not obtaining the proper regalia. For example, the length of the gown may be incorrect, the hood color might be incorrect, and/or the tassel color could have been incorrectly selected. One regalia purchase per receipt is the standard. If you are unable to make it to the Storrs Campus, please consider placing an order for your regalia online.
4. I purchased my regalia online on Monday, April 27th. Will my tickets be mailed to me? No. Guest tickets will not be mailed after 12:00pm (Noon) on Friday, April 24, 2020. All tickets requested after that time must be picked-up (in-person) at the UConn Bookstore in Storrs. The Ticket Desk will be open on Saturday, May 9, Sunday, May 10, and Monday, May 11 for those who need to pick-up tickets on the day of their ceremony.
5. I lost my guest tickets. // I think my roommate accidentally threw out my guest tickets. // My guest tickets never arrived via USPS...How can I obtain more guest tickets? If you obtained your guest tickets directly from your School/College, please reach out to the Coordinator listed on the chart and let them know of your situation. If you obtained your guest tickets from the UConn Bookstore, please continue to look for your misplaced guest tickets until the week of May 4, 2020. No replacement guest tickets will be distributed before that week.
6. I am a graduate of a School/College that does not distribute any extra tickets. How can I get additional tickets for my extended family, friends, etc.? Please reach out to your fellow graduates and specifically seek out graduates who may have taken all of their allocated tickets but only need one or two. Post the request to social media. Stand up at the end of a class and ask if anyone has (or knows of someone who may have) extra tickets they are not using. Please also share the link to our live streaming portal with those who are unable to attend.
7. I am a UConn student but I was never issued a UConn Student ID card (ex. graduates of the Part-Time MBA Program). How can I obtain my guest tickets? If you are visiting the Ticket Desk in-person or requesting your tickets by mail, please provide a valid photo ID (ex. Driver's License or State-issued ID card) and your PeopleSoft ID number. Staff will be able to verify your identity and eligibility using your photo ID and PeopleSoft ID number.
How do I obtain a Study Abroad Sash?
Did you study abroad as part of your undergraduate degree at UConn? Highlight your international experience with a Study Abroad Graduation Sash as part of your academic regalia at graduation! Visit the Vision Wear website directly to order your own!
What color Tassel should I receive?
Tassels should be placed on the RIGHT and moved to the LEFT during ceremonies (if instructed). Tassel color is determined by School or College and by degree awarded.
|School/College or Degree||Tassel Color|
|Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture||Maize|
|College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources||Maize|
|School of Business||Drab|
|Neag School of Education||Light Blue|
|School of Engineering||Orange|
|School of Fine Arts||Brown|
|Bachelor of General Studies||Maroon & Ivory|
|Bachelor of Music in School of Fine Arts||Pink|
|College of Liberal Arts & Sciences||Navy & Yellow|
|School of Nursing||Apricot|
|School of Pharmacy||Olive & White|
|School of Social Work||Citron|